Emotional intelligence (EI) or emotional quotient (EQ) — combining our thoughts and feelings to take the most effective action, discerning the emotions of others, and building relationships — is widely regarded as more important than even IQ. Those with high EQ are better able to work in teams and adjust to change. And as the global economy and new technologies continue to evolve, the importance of these qualities only increases. Those with high EQs have been proven to enjoy more prosperity in life.
Fine-tune your emotional intelligence with a new online course offered through San Diego State University's College of Extended Studies, and immediately begin reaping the rewards.
Sept. 11–Oct. 9
In this interactive online course, learn the meaning and purpose of emotional intelligence (E.I.) with regard to personal and social competence.
Through instructor mentoring, group discussions, in-class and out-of-class assignments, and personal journaling, you will learn:
- The four critical skills of self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, and relationship management.
- How to recognize, understand, and manage your emotions; take an emotional intelligence test for a comprehensive view of your E.I.
- How to identify behaviors that are hallmarks of high emotional intelligence, and explore its connection to advanced workplace performance.
- How to increase your E.I. skills and your ability to influence others.
- A variety of skills to address workplace conflict, and improve communication and interpersonal relationships.
- How to be strengths-focused, and how character and competence build credibility and trust in the workplace.
Note: This course is not part of the Professional Certificate in Human Resource Management.
Please visit sdsubookstore.com/es to order the required textbook, Emotional Intelligence 2.0, by Travis Bradberry and Jean Greaves. Includes a new and enhanced online edition of the world's most popular EI test. ISBN: 978-0-9743206-2-5
Time to complete: 20 hours
Fee: $295 (2 CEUs available for an additional $70)
Register by Sept. 1 for a 10% discount: $265 ($30 savings)
Emotional Intelligence in the Workplace Course Flyer
Meet the Instructor
Jessica Ordonez-Steenblock is the Human Resources director at Montage Laguna Beach, an ultra-luxury hotel and resort. In 2015 she was awarded the WIL (Women in Lodging) Connect Leader of the Year award through the California Hotel & Lodging Association, Stars of the Industry Awards. She has a Bachelor of Science degree in International Business from Pepperdine University, and an MBA from Alliant University.
Instructor Profile — Jessica Ordonez-Steenblock