Life After the Military – The GI Bill

flagAfter leaving the service, many veterans have difficulty transitioning into civilian life. They gain highly effective and very desirable skills – discipline, leadership, positive work ethic, time management – during their service; however, they often don’t know how to transfer those qualities to the workforce outside of the military.

Enter education and the GI Bill. One of the benefits of serving in the U.S. armed services is the opportunity to use government money to further your education. Let SDSU help you with your transition.

GI Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill became effective in August 2009. Approved training includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, vocational/technical training, on-the-job training, flight training, correspondence training, licensing and national testing programs, entrepreneurship training, and tutorial assistance. It pays:

  • Full tuition and fees directly to the school for all public school in-state students.
  • For those attending a more expensive private school or a public school as a nonresident out-of-state student, a program exists which may help to reimburse the difference. This program is called the “Yellow Ribbon Program.”
  • A monthly housing allowance (MHA) based on the Basic Allowance for Housing for an E-5 with dependents at the location of the school. For those enrolled solely in distance learning the housing allowance payable is equal to ½ the national average BAH for an E-5 with dependents ($673.50 for the 2011 academic year). An annual books and supplies stipend of $1,000 paid proportionately based on enrollment is also available.

This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits, and generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.


You may be eligible if you served at least 90 aggregate days on active duty after September 10, 2001, and you are still on active duty or were honorably:

  • discharged from the active duty
  • released from active duty and placed on the retired list or temporary disability retired list
  • released from active duty and transferred to the Fleet Reserve or Fleet Marine Corps Reserve
  • released from the active duty for further service in a reserve component of the Armed Forces

You may also be eligible if you were honorably discharged from active duty for a service connected disability and you served 30 continuous days after September 10, 2001.