Coming Spring 2022
About the program
Esports, or competitive multiplayer gaming, is thriving.
Each year, there are thousands of amatuer and professional Esports competitions, with millions of dollars in prize pools. Many of the world’s top-name brands — including BMW, Intel, and the Coca Cola Company — have sponsored numerous Esports tournaments. With companies spending millions of dollars for sponsorships, franchise development, and tournament broadcasting rights, Goldman Sachs predicts that by 2022, the market for Esports will top $2.95 billion. Esports is a rapidly-growing industry with employment opportunities abound, and it’s not going away anytime soon.
Join the exciting world of Esports by earning one of two Professional Certificates in Esports from SDSU Global Campus. We offer two unique professional development tracks, depending on your goals in the Esports industry:
- Professional Certificate in Esports Management
- Professional Certificate in Esports Design
All courses are 100% online, taught by sporting professionals, and open to all — no experience required. Whether you’re new to the industry or you’ve already started your career in Esports, our Esports certificate program will help you build your gaming career in as little as 12 months.
Program is perfect for
Earning your Professional Certificate in Esports from SDSU Global Campus will help you turn your passion for gaming into a rewarding career. It’s designed for students who are new to the Esports industry, as well as early- and mid-career professionals who are seeking professional development, career advancement, and/or entrepreneurial opportunities in a highly-lucrative industry.
With two unique tracks to choose from, the program will help you launch a successful career in gaming, whether you’re interested in working with on-the-field talent or building the next great gaming experience. Through online courses taught by highly-experienced SDSU Global Campus instructors, you’ll learn what it takes to serve in roles at all levels of the gaming industry, including:
Social Media Marketing
Video and Audio Coordination
No matter what your goals are, SDSU’s Esports program will combine your passion with the training and in-demand knowledge that the gaming industry needs.
What You Will Learn
SDSU’s Esports program will help you learn about the various areas of the Esports business so you can find your fit in this growing industry. After taking three foundational core courses, you’ll get to customize your curriculum by choosing one of two unique certificate tracks:
Professional Certificate in Esports Management
If you’re interested in growing the game, SDSU’s Esports management program will help you develop a deeper understanding of the business of Esports. You’ll learn how to work with on-the-field talent through player development and team management. You’ll also learn how to plan exciting events that will engage (and grow) your audience through broadcasts, streaming, and emerging media.
Professional Certificate in Esports Design
If you’re interested in building games, our Esports design program will help you learn how to develop highly-immersive gaming experiences for a variety of audiences. These online courses will show you how to create advanced content for PCs, next-gen consoles, and mobile devices, with specialized modules on video production, sound design, user experience, and more.
According to HitmarkerJobs, a website that compiles gaming and Esports jobs, there are currently more than 7,000 active listings from more than 50 countries seeking qualified professionals to help the Esports industry grow. From 2018 to 2019, Esports employment opportunities grew an astounding 185%. Many of these jobs are seeking junior- and intermediate-level employees. 55% of all jobs in the Esports industry are located in the U.S., with another 17% seeking remote employment. 75% of all job postings were for full-time positions.
Top Job Titles
- Software Engineers
- Product Managers
- Marketing Managers
- Customer Service Representatives
- Research Analysts
- Account Managers
- The Madison Square Garden Company
- The Walt Disney Company
- Activision Blizzard, Inc.
- Amazon.com, Inc.
- Skillz Inc.
- Blizzard Inc.
Last 12 months
Over 10 years
Source: BLS & Burning Glass Technologies, 2020
Why Choose SDSU?
With two unique tracks to choose from, SDSU’s Esports program will help you develop a unique career that works for you, no matter what your goals are.
This program is 100% online and open to anyone with a passion for Esports, no prior experience required to start.
SDSU Global Campus instructors are passionate about helping you develop your career. Lessons are led by a variety of seasoned professionals from sports media, software development, and the world of professional Esports.
If you’d like to learn more about specific course offerings, please fill out the form below. One of our Student Service Representatives will reach out to you with more information on the course registration process.
If you're interested in signing up for one of our Esports courses, please fill out the form below. One of our Student Service Representatives will reach out to you with more information on the course registration process.
- The Golden Four Requirement, which includes:
- Oral Communication — complete a basic public speaking course or other communication course with a grade of "C-" or higher in at least 3 semester (or 4 quarter) units
- Written Communication — complete a freshman composition course that emphasizes essay writing or reading and writing concurrently with a grade of "C-" or higher in at least 3 semester (or 4 quarter) units
- Critical Thinking — complete a mathematics course above the level of intermediate algebra with a grade of "C-" or higher in at least 3 semester (or 4 quarter) units
- Mathematics — complete a mathematics course above the level of intermediate algebra with a grade of "C-" or higher in at least 3 semester (or 4 quarter) units. Mathematics 150, 151, and 252 will satisfy this requirement
- A minimum of 30 Units of General Education Courses
- The Golden Four Requirement, which includes:
- Mathematics — complete a mathematics course above the level of intermediate algebra with a grade of "C-" or higher in at least 3 semester (or 4 quarter) units
- Complete the American Institutions Requirement
- The American Institutions requirement is designed to demonstrate that students have an understanding of American history, the United States Constitution, and California state and local government.
- Satisfy the CSU mathematics and writing requirements
- Have an overall 2.7+ college GPA
If you meet the admissions requirements and wish to apply, please complete an application through Cal State Apply.
A $70 nonrefundable application fee is required of all applicants at the time of application.
Admission decisions are initially based on self-reported information provided via Cal State Apply. You must provide complete and accurate information on your application. Any misreporting will jeopardize an admission offer.
Please do not send your official transcripts unless you are offered admission.
For more detailed admission requirements and other application information, please consult our Transfer Admissions Information.
Total Units: NUMBERS
Total Cost to Complete Program: COSTS