Is a wine tasting class the same as a wine education course? At SDSU, our wine courses combine wine tasting and wine education. It's a combination of lecture, reading, and tasting – a holistic approach to wine. If you're considering taking sommelier classes, our Professional Certificate in the Business of Wine program prepares you for the Sommelier exam and helps you train for success in wine-related occupations.
Core Courses (all required)
Exploring Wine (18 hours)
Wine Making Behind the Scenes (nine hours)
Business Opportunities in the Wine Industry (15 hours)
Dynamic Wine and Food Pairing (six hours)
Elective Courses (two required)
The Character of Wine (nine hours)
Wine Flaws and Faults (six hours)
Wine List Creation (nine hours)
Sensory Evaluation (six hours)
Importing and Distribution (12 hours)
Beer and Wine: Service and Selling (six hours)
Marketing Wine (15 hours)
Vineyard Management (15 hours)
(three required; nine hours each)
Organic and Biodynamic Wines
South American Wines
A reduced fee for SDSU alumni and Meeting and Event Planning students is available. Please call the CES registration office at (619) 594-5152 to register using the SDSU alumni or Meeting and Event Planning fee. Double discounts or retroactive discounts are not allowed.
Business of Wine Advisory Board
- Jesse Rodriguez, AIWS, M.Ed., sommelier, CWE, director of wine, Montage Palmetto Bluff
- Lisa Lipton, past national chair, American Institute of Food & Wine
- Michael A. Cheatham, CSW, CSS, WLS, CSWE, independent wine educator and consultant
- Linda Kissam, owner, Kissam Consulting
- William Byxbee, dean emeritus, SDSU College of Extended Studies
- Carl Winston, director, SDSU’s School of Hospitality and Tourism Management
- Peggy Evans, executive director, Temecula Valley Winegrowers Association
- Lisa Redwine, advanced sommelier, sales rep, Regal Wine Co.
- Gus Vizgirda, winemaker, Wilson Creek Winery
- Deborah Lazear, CSW, owner, Wine and Food: Uncorked
- Ken Mills, CEO/president, Wine Steals
SDSU's College of Extended Studies would like to express special thanks to all Business of Wine guest speakers and to the companies listed here for contributing to the program's success.
Wilson Creek Winery
South Coast Winery Resort & Spa
Orfila Vineyards and Winery
San Diego City Beat
SDSU Research Foundation Program
The College of Extended Studies is a State-approved provider for the Federal Workforce Investment Act for this program.