Tau Sigma National Honor Society
Are you a transfer student at SDSU Global Campus and looking for ways to build more connections with your fellow students and the Global Campus community? You should consider joining the SDSU Global Campus chapter of the Tau Sigma National Honor Society!
Tau Sigma was formed in 1999 at Auburn University with the goal of helping to recognize and promote the academic excellence and involvement of transfer students who enroll in a university after having completed some college coursework at another campus instead of enrolling in college right out of high school.
SDSU has had its own Tau Sigma chapter on campus since 2017 and currently has more than 700 members. The new chapter for SDSU Global Campus students was formed in the fall of 2022.
There are currently more than 220 Tau Sigma chapters at universities across the country, with longstanding and large chapters at Liberty University in Virginia and the University of Central Florida in Orlando.
Tau Sigma has awarded more than $100,000 in scholarships to members since its founding and hosts an annual leadership conference for society members from across the country to gather, share insights, and celebrate their community. The Global Campus advisory Invitations to join Tau Sigma are sent out to qualified Global Campus students every fall. Contact Tamika Balderamos at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information on the new Global Campus chapter.
Tau Sigma Qualifications
In order to qualify for membership in the Tau Sigma National Honor Society, students must meet the following requirements:
- Must be a transfer student from another academic institution with at least one full year’s worth of academic credits satisfied at the prior institution(s).
- Must be registered in a course of study leading to a bachelor's degree for an amount of work equal to an average full load (12-15 units).
- Membership in Tau Sigma is based upon superior academic achievement by SDSU students at the end of their first term at SDSU. (Only credit hours that count toward a bachelor's degree can be used to determine Tau Sigma eligibility).
- An academic cumulative grade point average of 3.5 or higher, or that places a transfer student in the top 20% of all incoming transfer students during the term in question.
- Academic eligibility is obtained on the grades at the end of one full semester of enrollment. Eligibility is limited to the first term of enrollment at SDSU.
About SDSU Global Campus
San Diego State University Global Campus is charged with extending SDSU’s educational excellence across borders and around the world. That means expanding our on-site, off-site, and online learning opportunities with an emphasis on flexibility, accessibility, and practicality to help these learners attain their career and life goals.