SDSU Global Campus FAQs | General FAQs | Open University Certificates FAQs | Professional Certificate Programs FAQs

SDSU Global Campus FAQs

Is SDSU Global Campus part of San Diego State University?
Yes. SDSU Global Campus is a rebranded version of the College of Extended Studies, with a greater emphasis placed on online courses, off-site programs, and other non-traditional modalities. We are still an academic college within San Diego State University. We will still hold on-site courses at San Diego State University’s campus, and our headquarters will continue to be located there as well. Any degrees, certificates, or credits earned through SDSU Global Campus will hold the same academic and professional weight as they previously did from the SDSU Global Campus, or any other San Diego State University college.

Why change the name to “SDSU Global Campus”?
We feel that our name best embodies our main goal, which is to extend the academic excellence of SDSU to all learners everywhere. We believe in an inclusive campus without boundaries, where all students can take part in SDSU’s programs no matter where they’re located. We exist in an increasingly global world, where technology has the potential to bring us all closer together in ways that weren’t previously possible. By leveraging these new technologies, we can expand SDSU to our neighborhood, the region, the nation, and the world, while still maintaining the academic experience of SDSU.

Does the new name mean that SDSU Global Campus is now internationally-focused?
While we do want to bring SDSU to the world, we also value our students who take courses on our San Diego campus. Those traditional students are still a large part of our focus as a college, and we will be offering the same on-site programs that the SDSU Global Campus did, with even more programming in the works. SDSU Global Campus does not mean that we are decreasing our interest in on-site learners; rather, we are expanding our vision to include all learners through new modalities, like off-site courses and online learning opportunities.

Why is SDSU Global Campus focusing on online learners?
An increasing number of adults are entering the workforce straight out of high school. Many of those adults have taken some college courses, but never completed their degree. Many have children and families, and many have obligations that make a traditional four-year degree difficult to earn. In order to accommodate those working adults and their busy schedules, SDSU Global Campus is placing a new emphasis on off-site and online learning opportunities with an emphasis on flexibility, accessibility, and practicality. We want to educate as many students as possible in order to build stronger communities.

Where will SDSU Global Campus be located?
We will still have the same offices as the SDSU Global Campus. We are located at 5250 Campanile Dr, San Diego, CA 92182.

How is SDSU Global Campus partnering with the main campus to offer online courses?
We have a seven-step process that every program goes through in order to ensure that SDSU Global Campus students are getting the same valuable academic experience as any SDSU student. We work with the SDSU Academic Departments through the consultation and proposal process to assess whether the program is viable and has interest. Our program design team works in tandem with the academic departments to ensure that the academic experience translates across all modalities. Our marketing team works to attract potential students to the program, and once students begin enrolling, the momentum continues as the student services team manages inquiries about the program and assists with enrollment advising. Following program launch, program management becomes an ongoing collaboration throughout the partnership as previous phases continue to ensure our students receive the highest quality of education and support.

What do online courses at SDSU Global Campus entail?
Online courses are a large part of SDSU Global Campus. Our instructional design team works directly with academic departments to offer online courses that are the same academic rigor as on-campus courses. We offer a mix of online certificate programs, degree completion and advanced degree programs, and individual professional development courses. Many of these online courses are self-paced, which means that students can complete lessons and coursework at a time that’s convenient for them. Upon registration or completion of the application and acceptance process, students will receive an SDSU RedID, which is the primary source of identification for all transactions at SDSU. A RedID will allow students to access lessons, coursework, tests, and all components of online programming.

General FAQs

Do I have to be an SDSU student to take SDSU Global Campus​ courses?
No, SDSU Global Campus courses are open to the general public (except degree program courses). Most of the courses are also open to SDSU students.

Is financial aid available?
Yes, several programs are available that may provide you with financial aid for SDSU Global Campus courses. For many of our programs, the Workforce Development Act makes money available to those who have been laid off. Additionally, financial aid is available for military spouses, in a wide range of subject areas. Finally, many banks offer private student loans that are directly applicable to continuing education and career advancement.

How do I find out what courses you are offering, and how do I register?
It's easy! All of our courses are listed on our website at, and online registration makes it easy to register for the course(s) of your choice. You may also register by phone or mail. Contact our registration office at (619) 594-5152 for more information.

Do SDSU Global Campus courses count toward a degree?
Most courses are not applicable toward a degree, but some do carry credit and may be accepted by some universities as applicable toward a degree. If you are taking courses through Open University, you may apply up to 24 units toward an SDSU undergraduate degree, and up to nine units toward a SDSU graduate degree. SDSU Global Campus offers several degree programs.

What is a RedID?
San Diego State University uses a student identification number called SDSU RedID as your primary source of identification for all transactions at SDSU. To register for a course, you'll need a RedID. You can acquire one online in the registration process or contact our registration office at (619) 594-5152 for help.

How do I update my address or contact information?
You may either login and update the information yourself or contact our registration office at (619) 594-5152 for help.

What is the admission process?
SDSU Global Campus requires no formal admission procedures for most individual courses. Students seeking to complete degree or certificate programs must meet admission requirements specific to their desired degree or certificate program.

Is parking included in my course fee?
Yes, if you are attending an eligible course. Please see Parking Rules for Gateway/Extended Studies Center Users for more information.

What is the cost to attend?
Course fees vary by program. Visit us online to get updated fees or call us at (619) 594-5152.

Do you offer online courses?
Yes! We offer many courses online, including some complete certificate and advanced degree programs. Visit us at for more information.

I’m not exactly sure which program is right for me. Can you help?
Yes, we will be glad to assist in your program selection. Call us MondayFriday from 8 am to 5 pm at (619) 265-SDSU. Or you can email us anytime at

Open University Certificates FAQs

Do you have to be a matriculated student to take Open University Certificate programs?
You do not have to be matriculated to SDSU to enroll in an undergraduate Open University Certificate program. However, all students who are participating in an Advanced Graduate Certificate program must apply to the University through CSU Mentor and be admitted to the university. This requires completing the application and submitting official transcripts that confirm the student has a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution. Department application and admissions processes cannot substitute (though they may complement) the formal application and admissions process through CSU Mentor and Graduate Admissions. Students can earn no more than 9 units prior to formally matriculating into the University. Students must be admitted into the University either prior to beginning their coursework, or in a semester where they are actively enrolled in program coursework. A student cannot retroactively apply to the University to be awarded a certificate for coursework already completed. Open University Certificate programs are not open to students currently enrolled at SDSU.

Are the courses for credit, and can they be applied toward a degree?
Open University Certificate programs are offered for credit. Twenty-four units of non-matriculated resident credit may be applied toward an SDSU undergraduate degree.

What are the financial aid options?
SDSU Global Campus students are encouraged to check with various banks, credit unions, and lending institutions — many of which now offer private alternative loan programs for continuing education. If you are an SDSU matriculated student, you may also wish to check with the SDSU financial aid office at (619) 594-6323. For additional information, please contact the SDSU Global Campus registration office at (619) 594-5152.

How do I sign up?
To obtain an application form for an undergraduate certificate program and a brochure, please call the certificate programs department at (619) 594-6255. For the advanced graduate certificate program, see above regarding CSU Mentor. You will then need to contact the SDSU department academic advisor and determine a plan of study. All available classes are published in the University’s course bulletin. A $35 application processing fee will be charged. Please make checks payable to SDSU Foundation.

Are Open University Certificate programs available for international students?
International students who have satisfied the prerequisites may apply for admission to an Open University Certificate program. A TOEFL score of 550 or its equivalent is required. However, Open University Certificate programs are not available to international students with an I-20 visa issued by another university. Contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for more information.

What is the cost?
See current semester fees.

Professional Certificate Programs FAQs

How do I register?
You can register by phone: (619) 594-5152, mail, online at, or in person.

Do courses count for academic credit?
Some programs award transfer or professional development credit which may be accepted by other institutions. The units earned from these courses may be considered for continuing education. Programs with course numbers under 100 offer professional development credit. Courses numbered 100 and above offer academic credit.

What if my company is paying for the classes?
If your company is paying for the classes with a purchase order, please be sure the PO accompanies the registration. If paying by company check, please mail the check and registration to the SDSU Global Campus Cashier, San Diego State University, 5250 Campanile Drive, San Diego, CA 92182-1919.

Are the courses graded?
Most programs with academic credit offer the option of a letter grade or CR/NC (Credit/No Credit). A scoring rubric is used for noncredit courses that may meet your organization's tuition reimbursement policy.