Where do I go for veterans’ affairs services, assistance, and information?
If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out! We’re available to answer any questions you may have about programs offered through SDSU Global Campus. Assistance includes:

  • Providing information to veterans and family members about veterans’ educational benefits, certificate programs and registration, and military spouse financial assistance.
  • Certifying student status for receipt of educational benefits under VA chapters 30, 31, 32, 33, 35, and 1606.
  • Note: All VA benefits are processed through SDSU’s Joan and Art Barron Veterans Center, 1661 Student Services West, (619) 594-5813.

Which programs are eligible for VA education benefits?
Courses that have been approved by the California State Approving Agency for Veterans Education (CSAAVE), and the Department of Veterans Affairs. Please visit our VA benefits webpage for more information.

Can I use my Post 9/11 GI Bill for academic programs offered through SDSU Global Campus?
Yes. You can use your Post 9/11 GI Bill for any approved academic program.

How do I use my Post 9/11 GI Bill to register for an approved program?
After you have received your Certificate of Eligibility (COE) from the Department of Veteran Affairs, contact the SDSU Global Campus to complete your registration.

What should I do to receive credit for prior military training and/or education?
Bring a copy of your DD-214 (Certificate of Discharge) and your transcripts from other schools to SDSU’s Joan and Art Barron Veterans Center to evaluate your previous training.

When can I utilize my VA educational benefits?
You may use your educational benefits during any academic term, including summer, as long as you have remaining entitlement. To verify the amount of entitlement please call the Department of Veterans Affairs at (888) 442-4551.

Will I have to enroll full-time to receive my VA educational benefits?
You do not have to be a full-time student to receive VA educational benefits.

What happens if I should fail a course?
If you fail a course, you need to notify the SDSU Veterans Affairs Office immediately. The Department of Veterans Affairs will pay for a failed course, plus one attempt at passing that very course. However, the Department of Veterans Affairs will not pay for a failed course due to nonattendance. If you need to drop a course, it is your responsibility to notify the veterans affairs coordinator immediately.

How do I contact the Department of Veterans Affairs?
By calling 1 (888) 442-4551 or visiting www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/.

Will the Department of Veterans Affairs pay for any certificate program, degree and or major?
The Department of Veterans Affairs will only pay for certificate programs, degrees, and majors approved by the California State Approving Agency for Veterans Education (CSAAVE). View complete listing of SDSU Global Campus certificate programs.

How do I initiate VA benefits as a new student or as a transfer student?
You will need to complete the DOVA Form 22-1995 (Request for Change of Program or Place of Training). You can obtain that form from SDSU’s Joan and Art Barron Veterans Center.

Should I bring any documents with me when I see the veterans’ affairs coordinator?
No documents are required for your first visit. However, if you would like to have documents from a previous school placed in your file, bring them with you. Documents that will be required prior to certification will be your DD 214, your certificate of eligibility, and transcripts from previous schools.

How long does it take to receive VA benefits?
If you’re a first-time recipient, you should receive their benefits in approximately six to eight weeks. If you’re a continuing student, you should receive your benefits in approximately three weeks.

What VA benefits are available to dependents of veterans?
Dependents are eligible for benefits under Chapter 35 or the Cal-Vet Fee Waiver Program; benefits cannot be received under both chapter 35 and the fee waiver program simultaneously. The VA decides all eligibility for these benefits. For more information, please visit the GI Bill site.

Note: the Cal-Vet Fee Waiver Program is only authorized for CSU system-wide fees. The Cal-Vet Fee Waiver program cannot be used for SDSU Global Campus Certificate Programs or Open University Courses.

When are books covered by the Department of Veterans Affairs?
If you are a veteran and your education is being funded under Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation), books will be funded by the Department of Veterans Affairs. If you are using Chapter 33 (Post 9/11), you will receive a book stipend based on the number of units or clock hours you are enrolled in as a student.

Can I use my Cal-Vet Fee Waiver for SDSU Global Campus Courses?
No. Per California State University policy, the Cal-Vet Fee Waiver only applies to state-wide mandated fees. Extension fees are not waived. The Cal-Vet Fee Waiver also cannot be used for SDSU Global Campus degree (tuition) programs, Certificate Programs, or Open University courses. However, other types of VA benefits may be applied to some Global Campus programs.

How long do I have to use my GI Bill benefits?
Once you have separated from the service, you have 15 years to use your Chapter 33 (Post 9/11) and 10 years for all other chapters. Although separating from service "starts the clock" on your time limit, you should know that if you are recalled to active-duty for more than 90 days, during that period, your clock is reset. Your effective date is the date of your last discharge from active duty.

Can I stop and start using the MGIB at will?
Yes. Unfortunately, many people believe that once you apply for benefits, you have to remain enrolled in school to get the full benefit. Thankfully, that’s not true; you can use the MGIB for any period of time, take time off, and reapply to use it again at a later date.

How often will I receive payments?
In most cases, you will receive your benefits on a monthly basis. However, each month that you are enrolled in classes you are required to verify your "status." Your enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using the Web Automated Verification Enrollment (W.A.V.E.) or by calling the toll free Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone line at 1 (877) 823-2378.

Who do I contact if I have questions regarding my eligibility or remaining benefits?
Please contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1 (888) 442-4551 or visit their site at www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/.

Do I have any responsibilities as a student?
As a veteran using your education benefits, you are responsible for notifying SDSU’s Joan and Art Barron Veterans Center immediately about any action affecting your enrollment status - drop, add, or a change of program goal. Failure to do so may result in termination of benefits.

You are responsible for maintaining satisfactory progress toward the stated certificate program objective. Satisfactory progress is defined as a grade point average of "C" for credit programs and/or an "average" for noncredit programs. Failure to maintain the required grade point average could result in the suspension of veteran education benefits.

Additionally, you are required at all times when in the classroom and on university premises to conduct yourself in an orderly and considerate manner, you shall appear for classes in a sober and receptive condition, and shall adhere to the SDSU Standards of Student Conduct. Violation of these standards is just cause for dismissal.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact SDSU Global Campus or the Joan and Art Barron Veterans Center.