The Professional Certificate in Management and Leadership is a series of eight half-day workshops covering a broad range of management and leadership topics. Workshops may be taken individually with a letter of completion or take all eight workshops to earn your professional certificate.
Are you an SDSU Alumni Lifetime Member? If so, click here to learn more about how you can receive 20% off registration for this program.
Topics include: decision making and problem-solving, effective communication, empowering people through delegation, effective leadership behavior, building high-performing teams, emotional intelligence, managing employee performance, and resolving conflict.
Make the Executive Decision to Enhance Your Management and Leadership Skills
As a manager, you already know the importance of soft skills at the workplace. Effective communication, emotional intelligence, problem solving, delegating, motivating, and team-building skills are all crucial to the success of individuals and the company as a whole.
If you want to excel as a leader don't underestimate the importance of enhancing your soft skills and bringing them out in your employees.
Cost per Workshop
Early Bird: $179 | Regular: $199
Cost for Complete Series: $1,199
Professional Certificate in Management and Leadership
|ML 0021 Effective Leadership Behavior||8/10|
|ML 0022 Leading Winning Teams||8/17|
|ML 0023 Decision-Making and Problem-Solving||8/24|
|ML 0024 Productive Management of Conflict||8/31|
|ML 0025 Effective Communication Skills||9/7|
|ML 0026 Coaching and Managing for Performance||9/14|
|ML 0027 Increasing Emotional Intelligence||9/21|
|ML 0028 Leading in the Face of Change||9/28|
|Best Value: ML30 Management & Leadership Series||8/10-9/28/22|
This schedule is tentative and dates subject to change. Workshops meet one night a week, 6–9 pm.
Last 12 months
Over 10 years
Enrolling in the Program
Enroll in the program at any time, even before registering for a course. It’s free, and offers many benefits:
- Secure your curriculum (should the requirements change in the future).
- See upcoming courses when you log into your student account.
- Track your progress.
Enrolling in a program doesn’t mean you’re registered for courses. You still must register and pay for each course you wish to take.
SDSU Research Foundation Program
The Professional Certificate in Management and Leadership Course Series includes all eight half-day workshops needed to earn your professional certificate. Workshops include:
- Effective Leadership Behavior
- Leading Winning Teams
- Effective Communication Skills
- Productive Management of Conflict
- Decision-Making and Problem-Solving
- Coaching and Managing for Performance
- Increasing Emotional Intelligence
- Leading in the Face of Change
One of the most important factors contributing to management and organizational success is teamwork, so it's critical that all managers understand the fundamentals. This course focuses on:
- The foundation of team success
- Identifying critical team needs
- Characteristics of effective teams and potential pitfalls
- Steps to work-group excellence
- Leadership requirements for building trust within the team
- Stages of team development
- The role of the manager in a high-performing team
- Understand the close relationship between problem-solving and decision-making
- Learn an eight-step problem-solving process
- Master several techniques to use when making decisions
- Identify when to use individual and group decision-making procedures
Well-managed conflict leads to creativity, innovation and positive business results. Poorly managed conflict costs the organization in terms of money, quality, customer satisfaction, and employee retention. Learn how to:
- Define and describe the causes of workplace conflict
- Identify and implement five techniques for managing strong emotions
- Utilize an internal customer-service approach to gaining buy-in and cooperation
- Be 100% successful in conversations about serious performance issues
- Set boundaries regarding offensive or rude behavior
- Discuss the impact of intention for resolving conflict
Increase your opportunities for more successful business encounters by enhancing communication skills that contribute to a harmonious and productive work environment. Learn how to:
- Understand effective communication and identify barriers that prevent it
- Assess your own communication style
- Recognize the importance of influencing
- Use non-verbal communication to help get your message across
- Give and receive feedback
- Improve your listening skills
Every manager is responsible for achieving results through other people, which involves maintaining and improving performance. When an employee needs assistance mastering skills and applying instructions, coaching is required. Learn how to:
- Effectively set, monitor and manage performance for optimum results
- Instruct employees how to recognize opportunities to improve performance
- Provide motivation and a supportive climate to achieve goals
- Provide both positive and constructive feedback for improved results
Teams are more creative and productive when they can achieve high levels of participation, cooperation, and collaboration among members. Learn the conditions necessary for effective teams and how emotional intelligence (EQ) plays a role in all three:
- Mutual trust among members
- Sense of group identity
- Sense of group efficacy
The workshop presents a number of tested principles and gives participants a chance to practice and plan how to use new skills and knowledge.
Leading change requires planning, communicating and monitoring for maximum effectiveness and implementation. Learn how to:
- Identify organizational and individual dynamics required to successfully lead change
- Acquire the skills needed to be a change agent
- Implement tools and methods to assist teams transitioning through change
- Identify a new way of communicating changes using Future Focused Feedback
- Implement a four-step process for managing resistance to change
Hall brings 20+ years of independent and corporate business experience in training, development, coaching, and management. She has designed training and coaching programs and facilitated workshops for all levels of employees, with emphasis on skill and career development. Her expertise is in leadership and management development, performance management, career management, succession planning, and customer service.
Stephen D. Murphy, MS, SPHR
Murphy has 30+ years of experience in human resources, organizational development, leadership and management development, team development, customer service, diversity awareness and management, harassment and discrimination issues, change management, strategic planning facilitation, and training and executive coaching. He specializes in helping companies analyze performance issues and implement individual and organizational performance improvement plans.
Shahrzad Nooravi, Psy.D.
Dr. Shahrzad Nooravi is an organizational psychologist and principal consultant of Strategy Meets Performance Inc., a California-based leadership consulting firm. Nooravi partners with leaders of fast-growth organizations and their teams to help them create engaging, innovative, and productive workplace cultures. Recently named “Trailblazer of the Year” for her original research on CEO best practices, she uses her expertise in change management, team-building, coaching, and employee communications to connect strategy and performance in multicultural and international settings. A speaker and expert on workplace culture, Nooravi continues to conduct original research among leaders of high-performing organizations.