This program is for individuals who are mid-level managers with 5 to 15 years of experience and who aspire to advance to the next level of leadership as a director, general manager, or CEO within a hospitality, recreation, or tourism organization or agency. And, experienced professionals who wish to continue their education while maintaining their current positions within the industry.
This program focuses on the development of strategic leadership, analytical and administrative organizational skills specific to the hospitality and tourism industry in a context that we believe is unique.
John Jeffrey Campbell
Lawrence A Beck
June 23 - August 10
April 29 - June 16
Lawrence A Beck
- Close the gap needed to move from basic leadership/managerial positions into complex leadership positions in national and multi-national organizations in this growing field
- Prepare for the transition into positions requiring greater responsibility and accountability
- Take advantage of a blended method of instruction using intensive, on-campus instruction complemented by online teaching and off-campus experiential activities/projects
- Gain skills for the increasingly complex and demanding role of leading in the "memories" business
- Innovate within your organization while developing your own skill set
- Expand your ability to make a difference in the HTM marketplace
- Enhance your self-confidence and sense of personal mastery
- Become a leader in hospitality, recreation, and tourism organizations successfully into the 2020s and beyond
Time Involved (in succession)
- 7 days of on-campus team-building projects and leadership exercises
- 17 months of online instruction
- 7 days of on-campus capstone experience (final)
Courses (30 units)
- HTM 601 - Leadership Immersion (3)
- HTM 602 - Theoretical Foundations in Leadership and Management (3)
- HTM 651 - Financial Management (3)
- HTM 653 - Leading in Complex Human Systems (4)
- HTM 655 - 21st Century Marketing (3)
- HTM 680 - Mastering Technology (3)
- HTM 682 - Going Green (2)
- HTM 690 - Systems Problem Resolution (3)
- HTM 780 - Capstone Case Solution and Presentation (3)
- HTM 790 - Directed readings in Hospitality and Leadership (3)
The SDSU Master's in Hospitality and Tourism Management fits right into my life's passion. I am planning on getting my Master's while I work in Liberia - the online portion of the program fits perfectly with my career goals and current work situation.
— Sean Brody, Founder/CEO, Surf Resource Network
Having recently completed the HTM On-Campus Week and Directed Readings course, I am thrilled with the program! I've worked as a travel journalist for 17 years and have seen an industry in constant flux. The HTM program keeps students abreast of where hospitality is now, where it is going, and how to effectively lead in the field. The professors are knowledgeable, accessible, and assign relevant coursework we can apply in today's world. I highly recommend the HTM Master's Program for anyone with an interest in tourism, travel, or hospitality.
— Maggie Espinosa, Travel Journalist, Society of American Travel Writers, NATJA Silver Prize Winner
After my first course, my impression of this program is that it’s super personalized. It’s showing me how to be a better leader, and the subjects covered are already extremely helpful for my current profession. My mentor, Anne Marie Kimble, is fantastic in what she does and has the leader qualities I hope to learn from this relationship and this program. She is able to give me the right insights and asks great questions that make me rethink my perspective. I look forward to continuing this program, and am very curious to see where this new learning curve will take me.
— Milagros Sequera Huss, Pro Circuit Coordinator, United States Tennis Association