The Department of Linguistics and Asian/Middle Eastern Languages offers a basic and an advanced Certificate in Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language (TESL/TEFL). The basic certificate requires 15 units including Linguistics 420 or 501, 452 or 454 or 552, 430 or 530 or 551, 555 or 556, and 550. Under certain circumstances comparable courses taken at other institutions may count toward the certificate. Such courses must be evaluated and approved by the certificate advisor. In addition, there is a 15-hour tutoring practicum requirement.
1. Find the list of courses required for the basic and an advanced Certificate in Teaching English as a Second or Foreign Language (TESL/TEFL) at the Department of Linguistics and Asian/Middle Eastern Languages (no application required).
2. Write down the required courses.
3. Log into the CES Gateway and create an account if needed.
4. Select Open University registration.
5. Navigate through the schedule to select your courses and pay.
Questions? Contact faculty advisor for the program Rebecca Egipto at email@example.com or call (619) 594-4187.
For general information, contact the CES coordinator at (619) 594-5821.